DiEM25 Official Forums

jborck
Topic Author

Request for Clarification

07 Nov 2017 19:54

The contents in this part of the forum are very misleading (especially the intro to the 'next steps' topic) and require clarification and cleanup. The majority of topics create/maintain the impression that an external entity, apparently led by @aral, moderator of the forum and author of most topics (among them ones titled "Constitution", "Philosophy" etc.) has taken over this effort, and only a closer look reveals that that's not actually the case. Yet that external entity is quite prominently linked here, has partially copied contents from this forum, and every page on that external site is asking for donations. There's certainly no ill intent, but it doesn't look good, and is confusing and misleading.

- What's the status of this"7th pillar"?
- Where should interested parties get involved, post or send proposals and ideas?

The number of views suggest that this is a topic of quite some interest. It would help to clean this up, it certainly looks sufficiently disorganized to put people off.

best,
Johann

hanseickhoff

Re: Request for Clarification

15 Nov 2017 11:06

I do agree with Johann. It's very confusing that the moderator of the topic proposes a kind of "outsourcing" of the discussion to an external entity that he apparently owns and that promotes his services for a fee. I am not sure that this is compatible with DIEM25 principles.

tomt

06 Dec 2017 14:14

I also agree with Johann. This should be a DiEM25 group, not a shop window of another organisation.

mseder

07 Dec 2017 23:19

Hi all

Is DIEM25 still behind the 7:th pillar?
I asked some of the coordinators but none of them replied.

I'm very curious and I really hope this pillar stands regardless by whom and how it's carried out.

Regards
Mats Sederholm DSC Sweden
Mats Sederholm is a writer, speaker and chronicler. He is a system critics who, for the past 20 years, have been analyzing the power structures and standards of the West - his driving force a strong belief in humanity and in a kinder society.

SebastianEis

10 Dec 2017 16:14

Hi Mats,

there are many people working on the 7th pillar, unfortunately they are using different tools. Some of the discussion is going on in task forces in the DSCs (actual meetings), some discussion takes place at Mattermost, some at Facebook (unfortunately, I think). There are some people working on getting all these places combined in one tool. Maybe this will be Mattermost, but it's still an ongoing process.

If you want to join Mattermost:
Dominik from DSC Berlin1 created a mattermost instance on his server: https://mattermost.diem25-connect.eu
There you can create on the left side different teams, for example one for your DSC, one for a whole country or language area, etc. Within each team you can create different channels for different topics.
There are already some teams for inter-DSC discussions, like Policy, where we can discuss the pillars and strategic questions etc. on a europewide level: https://mattermost.diem25-connect.eu/policy,
Structure TF: https://mattermost.diem25-connect.eu/structure,
DiEM25 Assembly: https://mattermost.diem25-connect.eu/diem25-assembly,
and others. Check the team tech-interop.
There are more and more people from all over Europe joining it, so maybe you want to give it a try!

With greetings from Berlin,
Sebastian

mseder

10 Dec 2017 23:02

Hi Sebastian

Good to hear that this pillar is alive
I'll check out mattermost, thanks!

Mats
Mats Sederholm is a writer, speaker and chronicler. He is a system critics who, for the past 20 years, have been analyzing the power structures and standards of the West - his driving force a strong belief in humanity and in a kinder society.

DynaMike

13 Dec 2017 15:51

If life of the 7th pillar measured by current activity on Mattermost I feel we'd better get our act together 8-) This Mattermost platform does not even seem to have a 7th pillar dedicated channel. :o
As there is a broadly felt need by DiEM25 members for a platform soundly based on sustainable and privacy conscious technology with ease-of-use and flexibility for internal transparent discussion and organisation building we should have an answer to the questions posted here >> https://mattermost.diem25-connect.eu/ds ... s1zd5ik7xa
See also various forum posts on forming a theme-based DSC involving the most knowledgeable and digitally progressive DiEM25 members to guide the building and growing such digital infrastructure in line with the DiEM25 manifesto and goals, that also will entice the majority of co-members and DSC's to embrace it as their platform of choice for democratically arrive at a DiEM25 wide position on their preferred theme(s).

tomt

13 Dec 2017 16:32

The problem with techies is they love tech so much :). It's all about making things more complicated, which is NOT the goal of the 7th pillar as I understand it. I don't understand what's wrong with a forum like this. Just because it doesn't look tech enough? I personally get very tired of all these hip platforms that are used and only scare people away. And to be honest I think that's the goal of these tech aficionados, there seems to be zero interest in content. While the only goal should be a platform to easily communicate without extensive traveling.