DiEM25 Official Forums

aral
Topic Author

Working Group / Advisory Panel

23 Jul 2017 11:24

To help us draft the technology pillar and to add legitimacy to our work, we will be creating an international working group / advisory panel of experts in the field of computers, the Internet, and ethics.

The names below are the initial ones, off the top of my head, that I’d love to have on the working group.

Please add any suggestions, thoughts, etc., you have in the comments.

Important criterion: no one with financial links to Surveillance Capitalism will be considered. So please don’t post any Google or Facebook employees, or people who indirectly get paid by such companies. e.g., Mozilla gets all of its money – about $370M a year – from Yahoo! – a multi-billion dollar people farmer. (They used to get it from Google.) So they are one degree removed but wholly reliant on Surveillance Capitalism for their existence. Similarly, the W3C is basically the standards body of Surveillance Capitalism and so we won’t be considering any candidates from there. Those are just a couple of immediately obvious examples. Given that Surveillance Capitalism is the mainstream model of technology, it may seem that this limits us somewhat but it is essential for us to protect our integrity and stave off the influences of institutional corrruption. When in doubt, please post your suggestion and we can carry out due diligence based on the above criteria. Ideally, our candidates will either be independent or members of organisations that have taken a public stance against Surveillance Capitalism and who do not benefit financially from it.

Privacy notice: Please do not post contact information for any possible candidates here. (A link to their web site or their work – , articles, Mastodon/Twitter, etc., is fine but no email addresses, phone numbers, etc.) We will be compiling a final list that we will take to a vote with the Validating Council before we officially contact anyone on the list. Once the list of candidates is voted in, we’ll go ahead and issue invitations and that’s when we will be in touch for your help in contacting them if necessary.

Timeline: In order to keep things moving. I suggest a two-week window for suggestions. We will keep this post open until end of Sunday, August 6th, 2017. At that point, we will evaluate the suggestions and prepare a list to be voted in a standard session of the Validating Council starting on August 14th, 2017. If the list is approved, we will contact candidates August 21st, 2017 - August 25th, 2017 and give them a two-week window in which to respond. Based on the responses, we will announce the final Working Group for the technology pillar on Friday, September 15th, 2017. If you have any feedback/suggestions regarding this timeline, please speak up in the comments :)

Key: * = people I know and/or can easily contact.

davidstodolsky

Re: Working Group

23 Jul 2017 12:35

I have looked at Paul Mason's most recent work.
He doesn't have the technical depth for this.

Ausir

23 Jul 2017 12:39

I would suggest one person from Poland:

* Wojciech Orliński*, writer, journalist and union activist, author of one of the best critiques of surveillance capitalism I've read,Internet. Czas się bać (The Internet: Time to Be Afraid)

(I suggested another person at first, but I removed the suggestion, as he is working on projects sponsored by Google and Mozilla, even if I personally trust his integrity otherwise)

---
Paweł Dembowski
Wrocław 1 DSC
Last edited by Ausir on 23 Jul 2017 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

julianringhof

23 Jul 2017 12:55

Well, that's some big names on that list Aral!

As previously mentioned, to add another layer (distributed production and innovation) to this pillar I suggest Tomas Diez. He's the coordinator of Fab Academy and Fab Foundation in Europe and the initiator of Fab City.

I've talked to him about DiEM25 and he is interested in helping shape the 7th pillar.

Thanks,
Julian

lauramezzanotte

23 Jul 2017 13:48

As a real amateur in the field of fighting Surveillance Capitalism I find very interesting the work of an Italian Collective working under the name of Ippolita ( http://www.ippolita.net/ ).

aral
Topic Author

23 Jul 2017 15:37

davidstodolsky wrote:
I have looked at Paul Mason's most recent work.
He doesn't have the technical depth for this.

Hey, David, you’re right, Paul’s not a technology person. I suggested him because of his work in advocating for a post-capitalist society. But yes, maybe it would be best if we contacted him after the fact to see how he feels about incorporating our policies into his sphere of work in that area. Will remove his name from the list.

aral
Topic Author

23 Jul 2017 15:40

Ausir wrote:
I would suggest one person from Poland … Wojciech Orliński … author of one of the best critiques of surveillance capitalism I've read… (I suggested another person at first, but I removed the suggestion, as he is working on projects sponsored by Google and Mozilla, even if I personally trust his integrity otherwise)

Awesome, thank you, Pawel.

aral
Topic Author

23 Jul 2017 15:42

julianringhof wrote:
…As previously mentioned, to add another layer (distributed production and innovation) to this pillar I suggest Tomas Diez. He's the coordinator of Fab Academy and Fab Foundation in Europe and the initiator of Fab City.

I've talked to him about DiEM25 and he is interested in helping shape the 7th pillar.

Excellent, thank you, Julian.

aral
Topic Author

23 Jul 2017 15:44

lauramezzanotte wrote:
As a real amateur in the field of fighting Surveillance Capitalism I find very interesting the work of an Italian Collective working under the name of Ippolita ( http://www.ippolita.net/ ).

Thank you for the recommendation, Laura. Unfortunately, this is where my limited linguistic abilities fail me. Would someone fluent in Italian (perhaps you, Laura?) be able to give me a summary of their work and/or name some of their prominent members?

Nathy

Re: Working Group / Advisory Panel

23 Jul 2017 15:54

Hi Aral,

What a wonderful list of people! Fan of many of them for some time.

Her are a team(s) and a person I would love to have in the group or somehow ad to the DiEM25 mix.

The team of Framasoft https://framasoft.org/ in France
Partners of La Quadrature du Net
Wonderful job on “De-google-ify Internet” https://degooglisons-internet.org/?l=en, FOSS alternatives to quite a list of data harvesters.
Google Docs = Framapad in French (Framapad is used by DSC Lyon)
They translated Mattermost (= Slack) in French

Then there is this brave MEP Julia Reda https://juliareda.eu/en/
Whose hard work I got to know through OpenMedia (Canada, https://openmedia.org/) and their campaign, among many others worldwide, on “EU copyright policy” at EP.
A recent campaign from OpenMedia is on strong encryption in the UK.

Anybody you know at EFF?

Nathalie