DiEM25 Official Forums

Nick Italy
Topic Author

Big Data meets Universal Dividend

01 Jan 2018 17:29

I am not technology minded so please be patient with an idea that came to me while thinking about the issues of a universal income or dividend and how it would be paid for.

Big Data information seems to be recognised as the potential new product that might really challenge conventional capitalism but still fit in the concepts of labour theory. i.e. it allows for a machine, that lasts forever, while transferring a near-zero amount of human labour value to the product, from here to eternity.

So the current open question is all about who owns the actual data that we are all putting into this system without being aware of what we are all doing most of the time. It seems we are mostly far from unhappy to give vast amounts of data to existing private organisations every day.

My suggestion is that rather than being fearful of what we are doing (maybe just being hopeful) lets turn the whole thing on it's head.

Create a publicly owned (or privately owned by everybody who is ready to sign up to be a part) not for profit world organisation to act as a gatekeeper to all our data sharing. Don't ask me how, you are the techies but there must be a way to sign up for Facebook or Google though the "datadividendcoop" (BDDCoop) just the same as today we use our facebook or google sign up to sign into anything else. Then use this organisation to negotiate a fee for all the data provided by its members to any of the current or future markets for Big Data. This fee is then used to provide each and every member or person with a BigData Dividend for life. They more you give away the bigger your Dividend.

Ownership of content could be public as with Creative Commons all managed through the BDDCoop.

Over time people would be given the options of hooking up or supplementing there data with gadgets in the home, on the body or just answering polls and quizzes for extra dividends when they needed it. Those who don't trust the system don't need to sign up and don't collect the dividend.

The whole thing could be started locally and very slowly allowing natural growth of the organisation to prove if it was viable.

Very raw as an idea but something to think about and discuss.