DiEM25 Official Forums

DynaMike

Re: How are we to deal with the media?

09 Oct 2017 14:26

And still we are (also here) mostly talking about debt, Greece and banking, i.e. the problems. This is all part of a global business and banking model that has worked quite well for some time, but now is at it's life end. Thus, being a systemic issue should not be a discussion any longer. What we should disvuss instead is solutions. The big question therefore is how to change the dominant extractive business models into sustainable(green) social models, i.e. an inclusive economic sphere ? Taking into consideration the economic sphere is not democratic and the politicians are already in the pocket of 'big-money' we only stand a chance if we come up with 'inclusive' social alternatives that are too good to ignore, so even multi-nationals cannot withstand adopting them.

Travis Vowinkel
Topic Author

13 Oct 2017 00:55

After going through all the text
I now think I understand what happens to all those good intentions that politicians once had until they get past a certain level, and a reasons why I would prefer DiEM25 staying a movement not a party. They forget their role and that they are elected to represent the people (Völkchen), instead they get carried away in self indulgence and self praise. Empathy for the weak, sick, old, and poor is out of the window, as they have become a liability instead. And like the majority of politicians, if not all, who have probably never been among the working poor or the Harz IV tainted, probably never been homeless and hungry either, there is no comprehension what that entails. Are we going to throw all those who disagree with us into jail or cast those who are Christians, Muslims, Jews or whatever into the sea. That sort of dialog reminds me of what happened during the Russian Revolution or the Greek civil war. For some, religion is the only straw that they have left to which they can cling to in dignity. Once we can offer people the chance to live their lives meaningfully and in a dignified manner then we can discuss religion. The Financial institutions and the weapons industry should come first.

The actual topic was "How are we to deal with the media?" To my mind getting the right support from the media would go a long way in helping DiEM25 achieving it's goals. Making sure DiEM25 does not open itself to Media abuse is another important issue that needs to be discussed. Perhaps we can get back on topic.

DynaMike

13 Oct 2017 02:29

Thank you Travis. I agree with your analysis and indeed here we should go back on topic. Unfortunately I do not have sufficient background and insight in the media profession to make recommendations. As a layman my view is that media exposure is quite OK, but we should be aware that topics and goals ventured are properly based in a broadly discussed opinion derived from a true grassroots democratic (and transparent / verifiable) process.

Wayne Hall

13 Oct 2017 03:10

It was Dross22 who got us "off topic" and he has now been banned from this forum. All the criticisms that are made of him are justified, but I don't think that DiEM25 as a whole benefits from his having been silenced. His hiding behind a pseudonym and refusing to be identifiable as an individual don't help either him (assuming that he genuinely wants DiEM's economic and European integration proposals to become mainstream as I believe, and is not a provocateur, as influential DiEM decision makers say they conclude) or DiEM, if we wish to have a grass roots of comparable quality to a leadership that can succeed in securing the collaboration of a Costa-Gavra. In any case, to get back in now, if he wants to, he will have to learn to be more of a team player and know what to say, and when. As for the media, my initial posting on this subject viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1658#p31452 is what I believe. I do not think any purpose can be served by petitioning the media or expecting that they can or will become different to how they are.

On the point of DiEM25 staying a movement rather than trying to become a party, entire agreement. But it seems that the party option is going to be the policy, because that is what the DiEM decision makers are focused on. So the question is: how are "we" to deal with this change?

Wayne Hall

14 Oct 2017 04:03

This initiative from Italy may provide a good focus: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15100