DiEM25 Official Forums

Rosemary Bechler

Re: Talk to CC member Rosemary

22 Nov 2017 19:03

Hi Arduinna,
No there will definitely be a very well defined political programme shared and agreed across the whole of Europe, and based on the European New Deal. Inevitably some electoral partners will be more invested in certain parts of that programme than others.
What I was trying to differentiate between was the political program with which we will approach elections, and the wider debates in which we will be involved, also on very important issues but not ones who for now we will necessarily be taking to ballot boxes. I was arguing that the great advantage of a movement party is that you can prioritise differently depending on what use you want to put your argument to... and opening up a national debate on complex foreign policy issues on a pan-European basis - a wonderful opportunity for our members - may be all the better for not having to formulate a policy aimed for an election prematurely. I hope that distinction makes sense...

Rosemary Bechler

22 Nov 2017 19:10

I do apologise for the late start... thank you for your questions. Till next time...

Rosemary Bechler

22 Nov 2017 19:26

Tony Pratschke

I wrote a reply to you which seems to have disappeared, so I just thought I'd recapitulate swiftly.

Yanis often describes the EU as a 'democracy-free zone' from its conception... so we may need to set about reinventing that from scratch, and this is why I think opening up far-reaching debates with 'people who have the appetite for it' is an excellent idea. Because I think this way we can perform the European demos if not from scratch then with a very different vision that will need to a very different kind of European constitution... On this I wanted to recommend to you Sam Hufton's two treatises - a member of London DSC:

https://opendemocracy.net/sam-hufton/tr ... nstitution

https://opendemocracy.net/sam-hufton/tr ... ernational

I should perhaps add that after that the challenge must be how to involve people who for all sorts of perfectly understandable reasons have little appetite for it... and to wish you all the best with your Thematic DSC.

Wayne Hall

23 Nov 2017 06:10

Rosemary Bechler wrote:
TonyR - thank you for asking about policy formation. We are in the early stages of working out how to do this. I welcome the development of thematic DSC's and I know that some groups have started to work on and talk about nuclear policy, NATo - and other vital topics under the heading that interests you.

My own view is that we should develop policy in two rather different ways in DiEM25, reflecting the dual political approach that a movement that is also a party can have. I think it is one thing to develop an electoral manifesto and policy for the Elections in 2019... these have to be prioritised, and have to represent a list of priorities that draw our electoral partners together into a common goal and for a coordinated impact. That means prioritising certain police discussions and that is certainly what has taken up a lot of time and attention for the DiEM25 cc.

At the same time, in having a rich and varied pan-European movement - the members of our movement have involvement in all sorts of campaigns large and small, and our members have interests , and passionate interests in many different themes and topics. (snip)

Quite what the interface is between these two processes has yet to be worked out. For the time being, it is clear that we have a great deal or work to do!

Dear Rosemary, as a first step towards elaborating the interface it would be good, in my opinion, to abolish distinctions between active co-ordinators and "passionate" members. Personally I prefer being active to being passionate, at least when it comes to politics. I hope this is helpful.

Rosemary Bechler

23 Nov 2017 07:45

Wayne Hall wrote:
Rosemary Bechler wrote:
TonyR - thank you for asking about policy formation. We are in the early stages of working out how to do this. I welcome the development of thematic DSC's and I know that some groups have started to work on and talk about nuclear policy, NATo - and other vital topics under the heading that interests you.

My own view is that we should develop policy in two rather different ways in DiEM25, reflecting the dual political approach that a movement that is also a party can have. I think it is one thing to develop an electoral manifesto and policy for the Elections in 2019... these have to be prioritised, and have to represent a list of priorities that draw our electoral partners together into a common goal and for a coordinated impact. That means prioritising certain police discussions and that is certainly what has taken up a lot of time and attention for the DiEM25 cc.

At the same time, in having a rich and varied pan-European movement - the members of our movement have involvement in all sorts of campaigns large and small, and our members have interests , and passionate interests in many different themes and topics. (snip)

Quite what the interface is between these two processes has yet to be worked out. For the time being, it is clear that we have a great deal or work to do!

Dear Rosemary, as a first step towards elaborating the interface it would be good, in my opinion, to abolish distinctions between active co-ordinators and "passionate" members. Personally I prefer being active to being passionate, at least when it comes to politics. I hope this is helpful.

You are right Wayne - we should abolish that distinction right now which I didn't intend. We surely very much need passionate coordinators and active members... and we have them! But still the challenge of the interface remains the same... when is it most important to turn outwards with a genuinely open debate and give people with different views an equal challenge for mutual vulnerability - that is to talk and to listen to each other? And when is it important to say - this is our policy for now and for the next two years - let's get out there and tell people about it, let's make sure we have enough electoral partners who sign up for it etc. etc. I believe that it is the rich interface between these two ways of using knowledge that makes for the best-built movement AND the best electoral wing. But it is a imaginative challenge for our times... Thanks for giving me another chance to explain what I am trying to say...

Wayne Hall

23 Nov 2017 08:38

You're welcome.